Fake text messages targeting parents
Action Fraud and others are reporting a scam by text where criminals are sending out distressing messages.
How this scam works:
- Victims receive a text message from a loved-one which says they are in hospital
- The only way that they can make contact is via text message
- Victims are asked to purchase mobile phone top-up codes and text it to the criminal
- Once the criminals have the code, they can get the cash credited to their own mobile phone account.
- These messages can evolve into more elaborate scenarios and play on your emotions and get you to react quickly without thinking.
- If you receive one of these text messages, don’t send any codes or money, delete it and report it to Action Fraud.
- If a family member was hospitalised, they would never be forced to use a mobile phone that required credit to activate it.
Visit Action Fraud for more information on this scam.
Please warn family members, friends and neighbours.