Seagull Proof Sacks for Refuse Collections: Now Available in Sandgate
Seagulls and bin bags don’t mix. Well, perhaps they do. Too well. For the seagull.
Following an approach by Sandgate Parish Council, Folkestone and Hythe District Council have agreed to make available ‘seagull proof’ bags for households in Sandgate that have a purple sack rubbish collection (ie no wheely bin).
This will help prevent your rubbish sacks being attacked by seagulls on collection day (which should make Sandgate High Street on a Wednesday a slightly less rubbish-strewn area – we hope!). It’s not compulsory, but we hope any household that has seen their sacks attacked will take part to help keep our village tidier!
You simply put your current purple sacks, sealed, into the outer Seagull proof sack. The sack is then emptied and left for you to use again (and again, and again – they are not disposable).
We were, pre-Covid, planning to distribute sacks to qualifying households from stalls at the Sandgate Farmers Market and via Sandgate Library, but that’s clearly not possible right now.
So to order your sack email email@example.com or call 01303 248563 with your name and address. We are only permitted to give sacks to those with a current “purple sack” collection, so please don’t ask if your usual rubbish collection is a bin collection. We will drop the sack to your property in the next 5 working days.
Please note that bags DO NOT replace purple sacks – you place your purple sacks IN the seagull proof bag.
How to use your seagull proof bag:
- Please secure your sack outside your property before 7am on collection day;
- Please place your purple bags inside your gull proof sack and make sure that the sack is securely closed to avoid the gulls attacking your waste;
- Our waste crews will remove the purple bags from your gull proof sack on collection day;
- Please take your bag in as soon as possible after collection, any gull proof sacks left out permanently will be removed and not replaced;
- You may wish to number your sack so that it can be recognised as yours.